Thursday, April 11, 2013

From the Diary of Winston Smith (pantoum)


I’ve found it hard to live in this world;
I’m practically a prostitute,
destitute and in the direst of circumstances,
I give up my body and my mind.

I’m practically a prostitute,
and I’m not particularly well off for it.
I give up my body and my mind
for a few sweet moments,

and I’m not particularly well off for it:
there’s no space for love or liberty.
For a few sweet moments
I’m ashamed of what I’d sacrifice.

There’s no space for love or liberty-
ideas can be so very dangerous.
I’m ashamed of what I’d sacrifice
for my flatscreen.

Ideas can be so very dangerous…
I need more shows
for my flatscreen
to drown out the voices.

I need more shows-
I’m lacking the courage and compassion
to drown out the voices
of the currently empowered.

I’m lacking the courage and compassion;
I’ve found it hard to live in this world
of the currently empowered,
destitute and in the direst of circumstances.

by: Raymond Alistair
John Hurt in 1984
John Hurt in the film version of 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment